I got hurt at work and just found out that my employer is uninsured, now what?  All employers in the State of New Jersey are required to maintain workers compensation insurance coverage.  In the event your employer’s policy has lapsed, you may obtain benefits from the Uninsured Employer’s Fund (UEF).  Benefits payable by the UEF include payment of medical bills and temporary disability benefits.  The UEF stands in the shoes of the employer and therefore has the absolute right to designate medical providers.  If the authorized doctor takes you out of work while you are recovering from your injury, you will be paid temporary disability benefits in accordance with the workers’ compensation statute.  The UEF does not pay permanent disability benefits.  In order to obtain permanent disability benefits, you must obtain a Judgment from the Division of Workers’ Compensation against your employer and the principals of the company, individually.  That Judgment must be docketed in Superior Court before you may pursue satisfaction of your judgment by levying against the corporate and/or the individual’s assets.  The UEF is administered by the Office of Special Compensation Funds.  They can be reached by contacting:

Larry J. Crider, Administrator
Office of Special Compensation Funds (OSCF)
P.O. Box 399Trenton, NJ 08625-0399
(609) 292-0165, FAX (609) 633-7783

Failure to maintain insurance is taken very seriously in New Jersey.  Uninsured employers are subject to civil and criminal penalties, which may be severe.  The civil penalties may include the assessment of penalties of up to $5,000.00 for the first 10 days and an additional penalty of $5,000.00 for each 10 day period thereafter.  The criminal penalties range from prosecution as a strict liability disorderly person to a fourth degree crime.  If the employer’s actions are deemed willful, the matter may be referred to the Attorney General for action. 

In order to determine if your employer has workers’ compensation coverage, you may enter the name of your employer and the date of your accident here.  If there is no available information for your employer or if the policy of insurance was cancelled or has expired, you may anonymously report your employer by utilizing this form.