A study from the U.K. shows that vaping increases exposure to bacteria that causes pneumonia which may increase the risk of contracting the potentially lethal lung disease. The study by Queen Mary University of London showed that vaping increases production of a receptor that captures pneumonia bacteria in the nose, throat, and lungs. According to senior author Jonathan Grigg, MD, there is “growing evidence that inhaling e-cigarette vapor has the potential to damage health.”
If you believe the hype from the vape industry, e-cigarettes don’t explode; and if they do, it is a rarity caused by the user. This story has been disproved time and again. Just read some of our other e-cigarette blogs.
What the vaping industry doesn’t tell you is that when an e-cigarette does catch on fire (as we often see in the news), the consequences can be severe and life-altering.
Picture Denver International Airport (DIA), January 30, 2018. DIA reported a record number of passengers in 2017, servicing nearly 53 million people; up to 19,000 per day. Now picture a crowded security line. This was the scene when a passenger bag that had just passed the x-ray machine burst into flames. The fire sent people running and shut down security scanning and inter-terminal train service for an unspecified time. Luckily airport personnel were able to extinguish the flames with a nearby fire extinguisher.
The cause of the fire and ensuing panic? An e-cigarette.
Teens who vape have triple the amount of five different toxins in urine tests than teens who never vape. Pediatric researchers at University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), identified six toxins in the urine of vaping teens including benzene, ethylene oxide, acrylonitrile, acrolein, and acrylamide; some of which are known to cause cancer.
These toxins are called Volatile Organic Compounds, or VOCs. Acrylonitrile, a known carcinogen, shows in even higher concentrations with teens who use fruit-flavored liquids while vaping. The toxins appear in teens who use both nicotine, and non-nicotine liquids.
Contrary to the belief that e-cigarettes are safe, Dr. Mark Rubenstein, Professor of Pediatrics at UCSF, stated “Based on these results, if the teenagers kept using these products over the years, we believe it could be dangerous.”
Attention Corrections and Juvenile Justice Officers
It appears that there is erroneous information concerning the present right of such Officers to receive SLI benefits rather than Workers’ Compensation Temporary disability benefits (70% of salary subject to a cap) when injured by direct contact with inmates in the performance of an officer’s duties.
Unfortunately, no such SLI benefits currently exist and those who say it does are incorrect. While there is proposed legislation to reinstate the SLI program in these situations, it is not yet an actual law.
A new report by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, Medical shows there is “substantial” evidence that e-cigarette use increases the risk of transitioning to smoking conventional cigarettes.
This is of particular concern for teens who are in the group with the highest number of users. This “gateway” effect should concern parents and users alike who believe e-cigarettes are different because they lack combustible elements.
A doctor in Middlesex County has just had his licensed temporarily suspended for allegedly reusing disposable one-use anal catheters on dozens of patients. Dr. Sanjiv K. Patankar, a colon and rectal surgeon, is alleged to have washed and reused the catheters which are inserted in patients during medical procedures.
During the hearing, the state presented documented evidence that although the doctor performed over 80 procedures, which would each require new catheters, between January and November of 2017, only 5 catheters were order in that period of time.
Flame jetting is a phenomenon that occurs when flammable liquids, like gasoline or rubbing alcohol, are poured from a container and ignite causing a jet of flame, something like a flame thrower. Flames from flame jetting gas cans can spew to distances of 15 feet. The injuries caused by flame jetting can be catastrophic. Every year more than 4,000 people are badly burned and 450 are killed by flame jetting. Tragically, instances of flame jetting can occur in your own back yard with the gas can you use to fill your lawnmower.
In 2011, a Baltimore County teenager was severely burned by a flame jet. She was standing ten feet away from a backyard fire pit when another teen standing directly across from her poured gasoline from a gas can onto the fire. The resulting flame jet shot across the fire pit engulfing the young woman in flames and leaving her scarred for life.
A lithium battery explosion shut down MCO International Airport in Orlando, Florida for several hours on Friday, November 10, 2017. The battery exploded in a backpack carrying a traveler’s camera. Startled would-be passengers scattered as security personnel, mistakenly believing the noise was a gun shot, reportedly told them to take cover.
Many people rushed back through security checkpoints. Others hid in nearby restaurants and stores. One woman reported that she and other travelers huddled on the floor of a restaurant for 20 minutes, unsure whether the noise was a gun shot. Travelers took to social media to report the chaos and ensuing confusion as well as to seek information.
The 2017 FEMA report on e-cigarette explosions has linked product construction to the severity of injuries suffered in explosion incidents.
The study included extensive review and research into the construction of e-cigarettes and why explosions and severe injuries are more likely to occur with e-cigarettes than other consumer products containing lithium-ion batteries.
The results show that the dual-cylindrical construction of the e-cigarette product and batteries is problematic.
A jury in New Jersey awarded $6 million against an advanced life support services provider after it determined that emergency medical technicians negligently treated a patient, leading to her death.
The Mercer County jury deliberated for several hours following a two-week trial before finding that a paramedic employed by Capital Health System Inc. failed to properly intubate the 20-year-old patient.